|Ovaj članak je dio serijala na temu|
Strategija klina je politički i socijalni akcijski plan autoriran od strane Discovery instituta, krovne organizacije pokreta inteligentnog dizajna. Strategija je ocrtana u manifestu Discovery instituta poznatom kao Wedge Document (dokument klina) , koji opisuje široke socijalne, političke i akademske planove čiji je ultimativni cilj "poraziti znanstveni materijalizam" predstavljem evolucijom, "obrnuti zagušljivi materijalistički pogled na svijet i zamijeniti ga znanošću usuglašenom s kršćanskim i teističkim uvjerenjima" te "afirmirati stvarnost Boga." Cilj mu je "obnoviti" američku kulturu oblikovanjem javnog mišljenja koje bi odrazilo konzervativne kršćanske vrijednosti.
Inteligentni dizajn je vjerovanje da su određene osobine univerzuma i živih bića najbolje objašnjene inteligentnim uzrokom, a ne naturalističkim procesom kao što je prirodna selekcija. U konjekturi inteligentnog dizajna je implicitno redefiniranje znanosti i načina na kojeg se ona obavlja. Zagovornici strategije klina su dogmatički suprostavljeni materijalizmu, naturalizmu, i evoluciji, i učinili su si eksplicitnim ciljem odbacivanje svakog od njih od načina na koji se znanost izvršuje i uči.
Strategija klina je izvorno došla pod povećalo javnosti u trenutku kad je Wedge Document procurio na Web. Strategija klina oblikuje upravljajuću osnovu za širok spektar kampanja Discovery instituta.
- The Wedge Document Discovery Institute, 1999.
- Wedge Strategy Discovery Institute, 1999. Cited in Handley P. Evolution or design debate heats up. The Times of Oman, 7 March 2005.
- Phillip E. Johnson, Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds (Downers Grove, Illinois: InterVarsity Press, 1997), 91-92,
- "Five Year Objectives. Spiritual & cultural renewal: Mainline renewal movements begin to appropriate insights from design theory, and to repudiate theologies influenced by materialism; Major Christian denomination(s) defend(s) traditional doctrine of creation & repudiate(s); Darwinism Seminaries increasingly recognize & repudiate naturalistic presuppositions; Positive uptake in public opinion polls on issues such as sexuality, abortion and belief in God" Wedge Strategy Discovery Institute, 1999.
- " "From our vantage, materialism is not a neutral, value-free, minimalist position from which to pursue inquiry. Rather, it is itself an ideology with an agenda. What's more, it requires an evolutionary creation story to keep it afloat. On scientific grounds, we regard that creation story to be false. What?s more, we regard the ideological agenda that has flowed from it to be destructive to rational discourse. Our concerns are therefore entirely parallel to the evolutionists?. Indeed, all the evolutionists? worst fears about what the world would be like if we succeed have, in our view, already been realized through the success of materialism and evolution. Hence, as a strategy for unseating materialism and evolution, the term "Wedge" has come to denote an intellectual and cultural movement that many find congenial." Dealing with the backlash against intelligent design William Dembski. 2004.
- "If we understand our own times, we will know that we should affirm the reality of God by challenging the domination of materialism and naturalism in the world of the mind. With the assistance of many friends I have developed a strategy for doing this....We call our strategy the "wedge." Phillip Johnson, Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds, 1997, pp. 91-92
- "The overthrow of matter in physics and biology requires a return to the social issues that are treated in Rerum Novarum and Centesimus Annus. ... The great moldering corpse of modern materialism still overshadows and stultifies academic philosophy and contemporary culture, and its fumes even creep insidiously and pervasively through the corridors and carrels of the leading schools of divinity." The Soul of Silicon George Gilder. The Acton Institute, May 1 1997
- "The most severe challenge to theology over the last two hundred years has been naturalism. Within western culture, naturalism has become the default position for all serious inquiry. From biblical studies to law to education to art to science to the media, inquiry is expected to proceed only under the supposition of naturalism. ...If fully successful, Intelligent Design will unseat not just Darwinism but also Darwinism's cultural legacy." The Intelligent Design Movement William Dembski.
- "...there is an immediate payoff to intelligent design: it destroys the atheistic legacy of Darwinian evolution. Intelligent design makes it impossible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist. This gives intelligent design incredible traction as a tool for apologetics, opening up the God-question to individuals who think that science has buried God" Commending President Bush William Dembski. (PDF file)
- "Hence, as a strategy for unseating materialism and evolution, the term "Wedge" has come to denote an intellectual and cultural movement that many find congenial." Dealing with the backlash against intelligent design William Dembski. 2004.
- "But there are deeper motivations. I think at a fundamental level, in terms of what drives me in this is that I think God's glory is being robbed by these naturalistic approaches to biological evolution, creation, the origin of the world, the origin of biological complexity and diversity. When you are attributing the wonders of nature to these mindless material mechanisms, God's glory is getting robbed...And so there is a cultural war here. Ultimately I want to see God get the credit for what he's done - and he's not getting it." William Dembski, quoted. The Faith That Dare Not Speak Its Name Jerry Coyne. The New Republic, August 11 2005.
- "The objective of the Wedge Strategy is to convince people that Darwinism is inherently atheistic, thus shifting the debate from creationism vs. evolution to the existence of God vs. the non-existence of God. From there people are introduced to 'the truth' of the Bible and then 'the question of sin' and finally 'introduced to Jesus.'" Rob Boston describing the view of Phillip E. Johnson. "Missionary man". Church & State, April 1999.
- "Discovery Institute's Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture seeks nothing less than the overthrow of materialism and its cultural legacies. Bringing together leading scholars from the natural sciences and those from the humanities and social sciences, the Center explores how new developments in biology, physics and cognitive science raise serious doubts about scientific materialism and have re-opened the case for a broadly theistic understanding of nature." . . . "Design theory promises to reverse the stifling dominance of the materialist worldview, and to replace it with a science consonant with Christian and theistic convictions." The Wedge Document Discovery Institute. (PDF file)
- Darwinism is Materialist Mythology, Not Science Phillip E. Johnson. DarwinReconsidered.org.
- A scan of the original wedge document (pdf format)
- Discovery's Creation A brief history of the Discovery institute and how the Wedge Document was made public.
- Tim Rhodes puts a text copy of the wedge on the Internet
- The Wedge Breaking the Modernist Monopoly on Science by Phillip E. Johnson. Touchstone, A Journal of Mere Christianity. Volume 12, Issue 4. July/August 1999
- The Wedge Document
- The Wedge Strategy: So What?
- The Wedge at Work: How Intelligent Design Creationism Is Wedging Its Way into the Cultural and Academic Mainstream Chapter 1 of the book Intelligent Design Creationism and Its Critics by Barbara Forrest, Ph.D. MIT Press, 2001
- The Wedge: Breaking the Modernist Monopoly on Science by Phillip E. Johnson. Originally published in Touchstone: A Journal of Mere Christianity. July/August 1999.
- Wedging Creationism into the Academy. Proponents of a controversial theory struggle to gain purchase within academia. A case study of the quest for academic legitimacy. By Barbara Forrest and Glenn Branch. 2005. Published in Academe.